Sunday 14 June 2009

Decorating the tree by harryillustration

This is Harry Illustration's (on flickr and at http://www.harryillustration.co.uk/) painted version of the same original image. I really like the way she's adapted the design to create a unique Christmas picture.


This is the original image that I used as my inspiration. It can be found in "Folk Art Designs" by Jane Greenwood, published by Search Press.



I had a bit of free time today as Tim took the kids out for a little while. Although I usually like to design my papercuttings from scratch, I wanted to find a project that I could complete in a couple of hours, so I adapted this papercutting from an existing folk art design. Adapting designs for papercuttings can be a bit tricky as you have to make sure all your elements are joined together, but this comes with practice.

This piece was cut from green origami paper and measures 23cm x 23cm. You can see that I've extended some of the design elements, such as ribbons and flowers so that they touch the border. This is to add a little strength to the papercutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment