Sunday 19 June 2011

Reasons to be grateful

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't blogged for a few days.


On Thursday morning I was driving home after dropping my 4 year old at nursery.  Just a quiet local street and a car came out of nowhere and plowed straight into the side of my car from a side turning without stopping.  It really was one of those moments where you can see it all happening in slow motion, but can do absolutely nothing about it.  All I could think was "she's going to hit me, she's going to hit me".  She hit me so hard that my car (actually my husband's car) spun 90 degrees, the rear window completely shattered and the drivers door completely caved in and got jammed shut.  The other driver couldn't find her number plate afterwards.  A passer by found it embedded in the side of my car! Amazingly neither of us were seriously hurt - especially amazing as the other lady had a baby in the back of  her car.  The worst part for me is the whiplash that I'm experiencing as a result and my nerves are definitely a bit shot - but a good dose of valium is sorting that out!

I also want to mention the kindness of all the local people who came out of their houses to help us.  It was pouring with rain and at least 4 or 5 neighbours came out with umbrellas, drinks of water and most importantly kind and calm words.  They took control of the situation as both myself and the other driver were in a state of shock, and having such kind people look after us until help arrived was very reassuring.  One lady even took me into her house, wrapped me in warm towels and gave me a cup of tea until my parents arrived to take me home.

By the way, the police were contacted but didn't think it necessary to come.  Apparently, if both parties can walk away and traffic isn't disrupted, then they won't bother turning up.  The witness who phoned them was told that it would cost them too much money - nice.  Makes you wonder what they're there for!

Anyway, the result is that I'm just not producing anything at the moment as my hands are just shaking too much when I'm not on the valium, and when I am on the valium I'm completely spaced out or asleep.
But - I am alive and let's face it, that's always a plus!!!

But I hope to be back producing again in a few weeks, but in the meantime I hope you all understand if things go a bit quiet here.   And for those of you who already knew about this, thanks for all your lovely emails - very much appreciated. xxx

11 comments:

  1. im soo sorry to hear about your accident, i had whiplash once, i was only young but it was soo terribly painful. i hope you are back onto fine paper cutting form soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and hope you are feeling steadier soon.
    Ali ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Suzy, so glad you're OK physically. I hope you are feeling better in yourself soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself - I prescribe lots of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awful thing to happen - take it very easy over the next few days. Hope you feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon! Sending you warm thoughts and feelings from sunny México <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are recovering, and that there are no lasting effects from the whip-lash. A car is just a car - but your life is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your best wishes. I'm feeling a lot better now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Suzy,
    just read your post about the Make Lounge and carried on! This must have been so scary. A very similar thing happened to my sister-in-law and she had alot of dizzy spells with the whiplash, so I hope you have been taking it easy. It does eventually go!
    Glad you're enjoying The Make Lounge, it's a great place to work. Your papercuts look fabulous by the way.

    ReplyDelete